This Lua script developed by Neill Corlett adds some quality of life features to the original Metroid.
The developer’s site no longer exists, so I’m uploading a copy here to help more people find this.
Gameplay altering features
- Equipment menu on pause screen: You can now collect both the wave and ice beam and toggle between them, a la Super Metroid. They are both saved in passwords as well.
- Maximum energy tanks increased from 6 to 7
- You now start with full health and missiles
- Minimap and large map on pause screen, with mouse tooltips (click on elevators to navigate between areas)
- Item % on pause screen
- Time counter
- Countdowns on broken blocks
- Max missiles display
- Clear time and item % on ending
- Popup boxes on powerups
- Mouse input on password screen
Download the FCEUX emulator from http://www.fceux.com/web/home.html